Lochac alternative Crown selection discussion

A Republic of Lochac

Started by luan, Mar 20, 2024, 06:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luan (Anluan mac Faelain)

Each Peerage elects/nominates/volunteers a consul who as a ruling council fill the place normally occupied by the crown.  This would allow for a significantly reduced financial burden as it would be split across 4(5) consuls.

Landed Barons act as Praetors/Governors and pretty much do as they currently do

At major events a Plebeian Council could be held to hear grievances etc.

Come the next crown tourney - Long live the king!

Kinggiyadai Orlok (Kinggiyadai Orlok)

Certainly it has been suggested that peerage might be one of the eligibility requirement options.

Are you suggesting that the consuls could take it in turns to visit branches without representation? Would this hold the same appeal, given that the focus is more diffuse?
Same term lengths?

Quote from: Kinggiyadai Orlok on Mar 20, 2024, 06:35 AMCertainly it has been suggested that peerage might be one of the eligibility requirement options.

Are you suggesting that the consuls could take it in turns to visit branches without representation? Would this hold the same appeal, given that the focus is more diffuse?
Same term lengths?

The consuls would each act as as joint rulers - either singly or in company depending on the event (which could of course create a level of theater all it's own) in the ideal outcome they could share the responsibility of "crown" visits and only really come together as the ruling council for major events.

An addition to the idea is that they could adopt a colour or house aligned to either their own peerage or home group etc, this could then be used in Lochach wide competitions for the duration of the Republic.

As for Length of reign - it'd depend on how well it was received  - it is an idea that could work really well over a 1 year term - say festival to festival to really allow the political theater and the plebeian movement to return to the rule of kings to really get going.  Initially i'd see it being a 6 month normal reign thing to test the waters and see how people like it.

I have used the roman republic as the model here, but there are other valid models that would work just as well and each could have its own unique flavour.

nathanaeldavranches

Having multiple crowns (consuls, electors, whatever) is an interesting idea. Promoting them from the various peerages is also interesting. The Chivalry could elect their leader by heavy combat tourney, the MOD could elect theirs by fencing, the Laurels by A&S competition, and the Pelicans by election. (Of course they can select in whatever way seems good to them).

It seems then at crown you could have all kinds of spectacle, at the cost perhaps of diffusing the majesty of the monarchy somewhat.

Silfren (Silfren)

The more rulers the more chance a group gets to see one or even produce one.

The more rulers the less special they are.

What is the Crown for?  Are they mostly about decision making or mostly about contributing to the feel of the place?

Quote from: Silfren on Mar 24, 2024, 04:01 PMThe more rulers the more chance a group gets to see one or even produce one.

The more rulers the less special they are.

What is the Crown for?  Are they mostly about decision making or mostly about contributing to the feel of the place?

I think both - and with the Republic idea we would have the chance to spread the love a lot further for that reign and i feel maybe diversify some of the decision making. I'm not a peer so i don't know how the circles of power work, but i'd imagine a Republic with several Consuls would have a wider view than a single crown couple.

Safflington (Safiya bint Abd al-Shahid)

While it's definitely not my preference, the concept does have some good points. I'm personally not a fan of adding another committee - I feel like we have that covered by the Peerage orders and the AusBoD/NZCommittee.

The big logistical issue I can see is that we have a small population that's widely spread, and pulling five people out of our "active" population for 8 months is a much bigger risk than 2 people.

Gwen verch David (Gwen verch David)

I'm very hesitant to support this option, because I do honestly LIKE the way our court theatre tends to work and be structured, but it is an intriguing option to have on the table to inspire creative thinking.