Lochac alternative Crown selection discussion

Court of Champions

Started by Valerian The Red, Apr 29, 2024, 10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valerian The Red (Valerian The Red)

Hi all,

Just putting out an alternative version of the champion system before the forum closes for the next poll.
I haven't fully fleshed out the idea but I think I have enough to propose the idea and workshop with you all.
I'd like to propose a method of crown selection based on the idea that historical rulers formed courts of nobles/experts in a variety of fields to help govern.

To that end, I would like to propose that the crown contestants form a 'court of champions' from people who agree to represent them (or themselves) in a series of contests against other potential rival courts.
Each court would need to get a champion for each aspect of the contest that is part of the society, so there would be:
  • A heavy champion to fight in a crown tournament
  • A Rapier champion to fight in a crown tournament
  • A A&S champion to enter into a crown A&S contest (just as example, details to be worked out later as I know this a contentious issue)
  • similar champions as desired for archery, service, ect

Each contest won by a champion would provide some number of points to their patron/crown contestant. With the rulers of the most successful 'court' becoming the new crown.

I think this has several merits:
  • it requires that any would be crown participants to demonstrate that they can co-ordinate with a group of different interest people over a short period of time
  • makes it harder for a set of king makers or super dukes to influence the results as it now requires a lot of different skills to win
  • and allow those who can't compete directly to be actively involved in the process

It does have downsides:
  • how to decide which contests to run
  • should be weighted equally or should different aspects be worth more or less points
  • It diffuses the excitement of a crown tournament over a longer period of time

How would people feel about this?