Lochac alternative Crown selection discussion

Diversity is the best thing about a lottery

Started by Kinggiyadai Orlok, Mar 19, 2024, 07:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kinggiyadai Orlok (Kinggiyadai Orlok)

As per subject.
When there is no contest, there is no advantage or disadvantage. It's the only perfectly fair system.

It does eliminate any notion of praiseworthiness in the "victory" though. The "winning" couple would be starting their reign from a position of no respect having been conferred from any contest of skill, and they would have to build their renown purely from their actions as Crown.

Ysambart (Ysambart Courtain)

It is an interesting reversal of the usual lottery where you get a ticket in order to have the chance to spend $10,000.

Helouys (Helouys le Poer)

;D - and the rest Bart. I am think there needs to be some level of "commitment" to the game - before people can be entered into the Lottery. Some previous Crowns have set Challenges to people who want to step up for Crown, such as "having done some Archery" - In my case I would like see a variety of commitments, such as evidence of Leadership capacity, having an appreciation for the broad nature of what the SCA means, oh - and be able to move a bit on the Dance Floor :)

Sekai (Sekai)

Sadly, I think if you have any sort of Challenge required to be completed before a pair can enter a lottery it directly undermines the strongest case for a lottery. Being the fact that outside of a desire to service as Crown it puts everyone on equal footing. Regardless of physical ability, talent, monetary resources. Which it terms of making the choosing of the Crown the most equitable is big points for a lottery system.

I do agree with Kinggiyadai. That because a lottery would be just random chance. The chosen pair would come in with non "respect" that is gained from winning a contested crown. Which as I brought up in the other thread. I think would damage the magic of the SCA and the idea of the Crown as something to be respected.

Also I think speaking on a Known World level it would cause issues for respect for Lochac Crowns and Royal Peers outside of the kingdom. Which given Lochac's general isolation isn't a huge deal, but it is something worth bringing up.

Stephen Aldred (Stephen Aldred)

Not a lottery fan.

Our King and Queen are our visible and active leaders, I can't see how a lottery would enhance that

Kinggiyadai Orlok (Kinggiyadai Orlok)

To be clear, I am in favour of a lottery. But this preference is conditional on the implementation of a more exacting set of eligibility requirements, as discussed on another thread.

Once you have the winnowed the candidacy down to a set of couples who are all likely to perform satisfactorily, I don't think any particular contest is going to predict skill at reigning more than any other, and it is at this point that the value of increased diversity is a significant positive step.

luan (Anluan mac Faelain)

Lottery is the "fairest" and least discriminatory choice by far.

-Is in keeping with the Dream? probably not
-Does it have any great pageantry? it could have - I'm sure Bat or others could "bling it up" no end
-Am I a fan, Yes, but not for every crown

For bonus we could have a reverse lottery - last name in the hat wins
Or lottery determines contestants for limited tourney - with lottery for tourney type (all accessible - pillow fight/custard eating/etc)

Llewelyn ap Dafydd (Llewelyn ap Dafydd)

This is a point. Though it only applies to the sovereign; under the current system the consort need not have put in any more work than a winner of a lottery (I know many _do_, but that's not a requirement of the position).

It's by far my preferred proposal, combined with pretty mild eligibility criteria.