Lochac alternative Crown selection discussion

This is the Fairest Option

Started by Eva Von Danzig, Mar 20, 2024, 03:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eva Von Danzig (Eva Von Danzig)

If change is to be had, the lottery system is the fairest option that provides the most equity and access to the largest proportion of the populace.

I personally do not support frivolous change for the sake of it in service to just doing something different. If we make a change, I would like for us to make one choice that benefits the greatest proportion of the populace as possible. The lottery system provides this.

What it addresses: *Note, this section isn't here to yuck anyone's yum. Please read with as much  :)  as possible.*

- Many folks have pointed out that the current system excludes those without the physical ability to fight, unless they consort for a combatant. If this is true than any physical challenge to decide Crown is similarly physically ableist. And to only add one additional martial skill to the rotation will show inequity to the others. (e.g. including a rapier Crown, but excluding archery, equestrian or A&S) The lottery system will allow people of every level of physical ability to enter so long as they are deemed suitable to enter.

- Crown selection by arts competitions may be flawed and problematic, as art is subjective and administratively it would be extremely difficult to run. It could also be personally taxing for those tasked with judging. Plus, there is an element of financial elitism inherent in this model, as those with more finances to buy better materials, or those with the luxury of having more time to spend on entries will probably do better than those that do not have the recourses or time to dedicate to their projects. The Lottery system costs nothing for entrants, so contenders could spend the money that they might on entries and travel on their upcoming reign. Plus it would be simple to administer repetitively.

- Selection by election could run in favour of those from more populated groups and disadvantage those from regional groups with lower populations. The Lottery is random and avoids awkward or hurtful commentary periods and campaigning.

So here is why the lottery is the fairest option: It allows for the greatest diversity of entrants and equity for entrants, allowing for the greatest access to the Crown by the majority of the populace.

Other considerations:

-Eligibility-

I foresee that contending pairs would still need to write in a letter of intent and be deemed suitable, as we already do for Crown tournaments decided by armoured combat. This would still need to be assessed by either the previous Royals (as it is currently) or by the Kingdom Seneschal.

-Period Accuracy-

The SCA was founded on an Arthurian/ Victorian ideal version of Medieval culture. Arthur pulled the sword from a stone to become King and that feels synonymous with a random lottery. Also, from a period perspective, becoming the head of a monarchy by random chance (being born) seems like a very period accurate solution.

-But is it fun?-

There could be a spectacle around entering and drawing the names that could be a lot of fun. I have heard tell that this option isn't very exciting, but the equitable option isn't always the sexy option, but it is fair.

I understand this isn't the most fun option and some have questioned if it lies within "The Dream", but that dream is subjective to each of us. What I would like is to find an option that leads to more unity overall in the Kingdom and resolve conflict that has been suffered by many. If we can remedy most of the issues that have been pointed out in various discussions with how we select our Royal pair and include folks that have felt disenfranchised, that would be the best option. For me, this is it.

Uberto (Uberto Renaldi)

Llewelyn ap Dafydd (Llewelyn ap Dafydd)

Yes, on all points.

Especially the point that if we're going to change things to make them more accessible, we shouldn't stop at making them a little more accessible if we have a choice.

nathanaeldavranches

I agree in general.

The only thing I'd quibble with is that A&S Crown is financially elitist -- it may be so, but so is ruling in Lochac. There are many people who are personally capable of ruling who do not have the financial means or time to do so, and the time/money commitment for creating a high-quality A&S piece is negligible compared to the time/money commitment for ruling. (There are other problems with the fairness and equity of A&S which I agree are problematic, though).

Kinggiyadai Orlok (Kinggiyadai Orlok)

Nathanael,

It's true that royal reigns are expensive in terms of time and money, but with the Event Levy, the Kingdom has the tools necessary for it to be able to afford to pay for royal reigns.
So far, it hasn't needed to exercise it, as there are still sufficient numbers of entrants to contest the Crown, even with the financial burden.

I believe that Her Grace's argument in this regard is that some A&S fields are very expensive to even start, let alone do well in. Knifemaking, for instance; someone who can afford to own a forge and an anvil and hammers is going to succeed much more readily than someone without, even if they both started with the same level of knowledge.

Oh I completely agree that reigning is financially exclusive, but that is a different matter and is for all entrants to consider before entering, really.

As Kinggiyadai says, there is an expense for entry on certain arts, but my main consern is more that (as someone who has judged the odd competition) I think that those that drop $1000 on period-accurate fabrics at Sartor will have a better chance of winning then someone who can only afford cotton/linen blend from Spotlight. Or those that can afford real gold leaf for a scroll over your run-of-the-mill guache. I'm personally not a fan of competative art anyway, but there is a potential that with more expendable income could come more success.

Reigning does cost a great deal, but when we look at the minimum requirements for a reign, it's just 3 events per reign. The rest is all bells and whistles. There have been reigns in our Kingdom funded on a single-income.

If we make change, I think it should be for noble reasons and so any format that penalises those with less income or less expendable cash feels off to me.

Mildryth (Mildryth Thomaswyf)

100% agreed, my own thoughts are echoed here in nearly every aspect.

I think we could still have a fun event to choose the heirs, really draw it out and knock couples out 'tournament bracket' style.

Catalina (Catalina OroSol)

I agree. If we are looking to make the pathway to being Crown inclusive then this is the most sensible option I've seen put forward thus far. And I am very much in favour of an inclusive pathway.

lifa (Kallisfeniia Tykvina)

For the sake of inclusivity, I am in favour of this pathway. I'm sure there are ways to make it entertaining and those could be developed over time. It lacks the competition side of things that other proposal have, but SCA won't be lacking in contests anytime soon. The current crown can be in charge of making sure the applicants pass the eligibility criteria (created separately). If we want it to be a more public thing, the couples could do short intros like in Invocation Court, so the populace knows who's names are thrown into the hat.

I did lean towards a rotation of different Crown selections, but I don't think the lottery would work with any other proposals that are based on proving one's ability (in whatever field). It feels a bit like an all or nothing proposal, compared to adding on an alternative selection to the current heavy combat method. It's so different from what we have now, I wonder how feasible it will be to get folks on board with it.

Then again, I think it's one of those methods that can also make it easier on the Stewarding teams.

EleonoraRose (Eleonora Rose)

I am also in favour of this option, and for all the reasons stated above (fairness, reducing barriers to entry, avoiding the same people being Crown over and over in a row).

In terms of spectacle, once contestants have been deemed eligible, we could ask them and their households to make a show of some kind, perhaps a bit of theatre or song or epic poem or something to get people excited about what their potential reign might be like.

I don't have any really good ideas here. I am not sure how important the spectacle of selecting the crown is, compared with the general spectacle of the event itself. Perhaps we can think about ways to have an exciting event at which the crown's successors are simply announced?

Sigi

Quote from: lifa on Mar 28, 2024, 04:27 PMI did lean towards a rotation of different Crown selections, but I don't think the lottery would work with any other proposals that are based on proving one's ability (in whatever field). It feels a bit like an all or nothing proposal, compared to adding on an alternative selection to the current heavy combat method. It's so different from what we have now, I wonder how feasible it will be to get folks on board with it.

I agree that it is the fairest option, but also concur it wouldn't work with other proposals.

I'm pondering if it should be a case of accepting some change, even if it isn't the most fair, such as opening it up to other martial pursuits or other selection criteria as discussed in other threads to increase diversity and inclusion in a small way.

Alternatively, should we hold out for the most fair and inclusive option of a lottery with spectacle attached? What if insisting on a lottery as the only fair selection process means it's delayed or doesn't happen at all, because, as you say, it's too different and there wouldn't be buy in?

At the end of the day, we really need to weigh up why folks would want change in the first place?

Do we just want an alternate path to privilege for some or do we want our privilege to be inclusive to as many members as possible?
Any prowess-based choice will be exclusive to someone.

I don't think the group will thrive through bits and pieces of change every couple of years. The Kingdom needs stability. Rushing to make a change may not yield the best choice and so I see no issue in taking the time we need to form a stable option.

Sigi

Fair point. I suppose I've had the very great privilege of recently joining a stable, inclusive, and positive group. Thus, my inclination is to seek ways to encourage more growth, as it feels like the starting point is so strong it can tolerate innovation.

However, it does seem as though those more experienced in the SCA have been more wary of change, and that perhaps this reflects their greater knowledge of the society's vulnerabilities and the need to evolve gradually.

owaincantor (Owain Cantor ap Hughe)

This all makes a lot of sense to me. A lottery system, but "you have to be in it to win it".
Particularly favour part of the process being to establish intent and suitability.

Collette de Harcourt (Collette de Harcourt)

As others have said, this is the most inclusive option.
If it was used, I would like to see the requirements for couples entering the lottery include, besides the legal requirements:
- entrants have a minimum level of time in the Society
- one or both have held an officer position or warranted position (such as constable or marshal)
- one or both have been active in an Art or Science
reasoning - shows activity in Society and ability to serve

A possible issue with this is that Crown Tournament would become Lottery Draw Event. I think that to keep some of the pageantry and tournament activity, tournaments to select the Crown Champions in Heavy, Rapier and Archery (and possibly other aspects such as A&S or Equestrian) should be held. These Champions would be Crown Champions for the reign. Site would play a part in how many of these could be done at the event, but Heavy and Rapier at least should be doable.

Collette