Lochac alternative Crown selection discussion

This is the Fairest Option

Started by Eva Von Danzig, Mar 20, 2024, 03:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Safflington (Safiya bint Abd al-Shahid)

I do appreciate that this is the fairest option, however, I also think that a lottery runs the risk of creating an "experience gap" (for want of a better term).

One of the things I've heard from a lot of newer fighters over the years, is that they appreciate the experience of entering a Crown Tourney without having a serious shot at winning. I had absolutely no idea of what the role of Crown actually meant when I entered my first Crown Tourney - a local fighter said "hey, do you want to be my consort?" and I said "yeah, sure" - and thankfully, we were out in a few rounds.

My one worry with a lottery system, is that someone else will be in a similar situation where they have very little knowledge about the Crown, and the financial, social, and administrative expectations of the role, and they suddenly find themselves sitting in the hot seat because their name has been drawn. A lottery doesn't really provide an entry level experience or test run in the same way as a tourney, but maybe it won't be an issue at all since the two are so different? Maybe this is actually a cultural issue, that we need to fix in a cultural way, but it's definitely a concern that springs to mind for me.

Gwen verch David (Gwen verch David)

I can see the arguments for this method, but I'm not entirely convinced. I think we would all agree that some selectivity is necessary at some stage, and if it is not in the final selection method, then it will be in deciding who enters the lottery. We would need to be very careful that however we include or exclude people from the lottery is fair, unbiased, but appropriately selective at the same time.

Nicola de Coventre (Nicola de Coventre)

I agree with this proposal as the fairest. I also think it is reasonable to consider whether entrants have a full picture of the obligations and gravitas of being crown. I don't think this is in any way a barrier though as part of this could be solved by having a previous crown as a mentor to new entrants and potentials to address this in their submissions. Technically, right now someone of exceptional athleticism could win crown after little experience in the SCA so concerns in this space can be dealt with thoughtfully as part of a bigger change.

Simon of Cluain (Simon of Cluain)

A lottery is my least favoured choice. No skill is tested, no victory challenge exists. Such a lack brings a lacking to the role and I would not compete, for I see no value nor challenge in a lottery.