Lochac alternative Crown selection discussion

Does the Tournament of Champions have to be heavy fighting?

Started by Heinrich, Mar 18, 2024, 09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heinrich (Heinrich Schreiber)

Could the tournament of champions idea be combined with the 'prowess in other fields' idea, rather than be heavy fighting only (as is implied)?
We already have Baronial archery champions, rapier champions and A&S Champions. Could the prospective crown select champions from their local group to compete? the champions would then become Kingdom Champion for the duration of the reign? Or, Could they select a 'team of champions' from multiple disciplines to compete ?

Sekai (Sekai)

I think the idea of would be crowns picking a champion to fight for them is both historical and does address a number of the wider concerns around the call for alternative crowns.

Also I don't see any reason why when such a system were to be used, it would have to be limited to only Armored Fighting.

In theory a tournament of champions could be "fought" in any format be it they: armored, rapier, A&S, archery, or equestrian. Of course for the non-directly combative formats (armored & rapier) you would still need to iron out an ethical rule set. But in theory champions are champions whatever the skill set.

luan (Anluan mac Faelain)

the idea of champions always brings to mind the Lombardy Judicial Duels - I can just see the crown final with a duel of champions  and the marshals standing behind the potential crowns garotte in hand. [yes- this is meant in humor]

But some kind of penalty system would be very period - and potentially add some theater to the event.

Kinggiyadai Orlok (Kinggiyadai Orlok)

The most extreme penalty that I know of was in the Rowany Baronial contest between Helene & Hrothgar, Bethan, and AElfled and myself.

The penalty for not being chosen was to steward the changeover event and we all entered that pact voluntarily, I believe.

I wouldn't like to see any penalty greater than that; this is supposed to be fun.

luan (Anluan mac Faelain)

Quote from: kinggiyadai on Mar 19, 2024, 11:22 AMThe most extreme penalty that I know of was in the Rowany Baronial contest between Helene & Hrothgar, Bethan, and AElfled and myself.

The penalty for not being chosen was to steward the changeover event and we all entered that pact voluntarily, I believe.

I wouldn't like to see any penalty greater than that; this is supposed to be fun.

It would totally need to be keeping in the spirit of the game - actual penalties would defeat the whole purpose of changing how we do it - it'd just be a nice bit of historical trivia to work into the theater

Kinggiyadai Orlok (Kinggiyadai Orlok)

I agree that it's always good to remind people who are planning a ceremony (whether that be a Coronation or a peerage elevation) that the standard ceremonies are not mandated and can be customised for extra theatre.

But I think that the desire for a custom ceremony needs to come from within.

Simon of Cluain (Simon of Cluain)

Quote from: Heinrich on Mar 18, 2024, 09:23 PMCould the tournament of champions idea be combined with the 'prowess in other fields' idea, rather than be heavy fighting only (as is implied)?
We already have Baronial archery champions, rapier champions and A&S Champions. Could the prospective crown select champions from their local group to compete? the champions would then become Kingdom Champion for the duration of the reign? Or, Could they select a 'team of champions' from multiple disciplines to compete ?

I fully support contending for crown via other means. I love the idea of archery, fencing and arts and sciences, I will also love another idea not so far mentioned because it shows that people are interested, are participating, are keen and the pool from which we might draw is large and inclusive. No system is perfect, there have been better than average royalty and lower than average royalty; in closing, Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Gwen verch David (Gwen verch David)

I think combining champions with other methods is a good possibility!