Lochac alternative Crown selection discussion

Champions assigned by lottery

Started by melissawijffels, Mar 19, 2024, 06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

melissawijffels (Melissa Wijffels)

Another theme from the Crescent Isles alternate format survey was a suggestion that champions should be assigned by lottery to avoid interpersonal relationships and/or bribery from interfering with the process. This means a field of contestants (not necessarily heavy fighters, but could be) would each be randomly assigned to vetted hopefuls.

There may or may not be an option for a contestant who objects to one of the hopefuls to prevent themselves from being that pairs' champion.

A benefit is that it would be freer from political entanglement than the standard conceptions of champions.

A negative is that it might be demotivating for the contestants to be fighting for someone they don't know, or not being able to fight for someone they do know.

luan (Anluan mac Faelain)

One issue i can see here - it can cost a lot of money just to enter crown - especially if it an overseas or remote destination

That plus all the prep work  you need to do just in case you do win is a pretty big commitment emotionally.

To do all that and then draw Lord newbie loaner helm as your champion would be pretty discouraging/disheartening

At least when you fight for your self or engage a champion you know your future is in the hands of someone who shares your commitment.

Personally i think I'd prefer a lottery crown to a lottery champion - if anyone is going to get smacked around for my honour I'd rather it was me.

Stephen Aldred (Stephen Aldred)

Can't se this as viable. 

Winning any sort of Crown contest is a big commitment of time and effort. This method would likely result in a lot of half hearted entries with many not committed to preparation or competing below their best, because their couple doesn't really inspired them. 

Best to have basic rules around champions and leave the pairing to the crown aspirants and their chosen champion.

nico (Nicodemus Novello)

If the pairing is at the discretion of the fighter, how much would adding this form of contest achieve?
The tournament would look the same, and ruling would still be the gift of the heavy community.

Gomez (Gomez)

One negative of the random matching of combatant to potential Crown is the lack of engagement on the part of the fighter. I can see someone agreeing to fight for a friend or a member of their household but I suspect that you will lose fighters who aren't invested in helping someone become Crown who doesn't inspire them.

Just a thought.

Gwen verch David (Gwen verch David)

I would want the champions to have some degree of investment and connection to the candidates. I think this offers a bit of a safety net, as a champion able to win a Crown Tourney is likely to have a reasonable idea of what a Crown has to do during their reign