Lochac alternative Crown selection discussion

Champions + Self Crown Entrants

Started by Collette de Harcourt, Apr 11, 2024, 10:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Collette de Harcourt (Collette de Harcourt)

I haven't seen this posted elsewhere, but I would assume that permitting Champions in Crown Tournament would take place alongside people competing for their consort.

Eva Von Danzig (Eva Von Danzig)

I am not in favour of change, but if change is deemed needed, I would support this compromise.

It honours the tradition and format that brough many people to participate in the Society, while opening up the eligible couples to reign, adding greater access to the Crown.

Another advantage is that although folks have worries about people winning repeated Crowns, the ability to enter the tournament for a couple you believe in and not have the personal burden of reigning may attract a greater number of entrants, attracting more of the previous winners and high calibre fighers to enter, meaning that the competition could be more fierce and less likely to have consistent winners.

Safflington (Safiya bint Abd al-Shahid)

Quote from: Eva Von Danzig on Apr 16, 2024, 08:24 AMIt honours the tradition and format that brough many people to participate in the Society, while opening up the eligible couples to reign, adding greater access to the Crown.

Another advantage is that although folks have worries about people winning repeated Crowns, the ability to enter the tournament for a couple you believe in and not have the personal burden of reigning may attract a greater number of entrants, attracting more of the previous winners and high calibre fighers to enter, meaning that the competition could be more fierce and less likely to have consistent winners.

I agree. This definitely strikes the balance of tradition and change for me.

I would think that we'd keep the rule of not allowing the Crown to enter their own Crown Tourney, and that would presumably extend to the Champion too. We don't have the same culture of Superdukes with 10 reigns under their belts as in many of the US kingdoms, and I don't think that's going to suddenly change because we've switched to a champions system. Here in Lochac we're pretty good at cultural self-regulation.